Director of Data Engineering
ezCater is the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions and is purpose-built for business. ezCater's corporate food platform and flexible, scalable food solutions allow organizations to centralize and track their food spend, and fulfill everything from daily employee meals to client meetings and company all-hands. ezCater backs this up with business-grade, best-in-class, customer service and an unmatched nationwide footprint. We're backed by top investors including Insight, Iconiq, Lightspeed, GIC, SoftBank, and Quadrille.
The Data Technology organization is unlocking new opportunities across the business by integrating data and machine learning across our products and business functions. We’re looking for a seasoned Data Engineering Director, reporting directly to the VP of Data Technology, to be primarily responsible for leading the Data Engineering and Data Infrastructure teams. The Data Engineering Team designs, builds and supports data platforms, products, pipelines, governance frameworks that powers analytics, business insights, data science, machine learning and our products.
As a Director for Data Engineering, you will be very hands-on, involved in designing and developing scalable data pipelines, platforms, and tools to accelerate data-driven business initiatives and products. You will work with cross-functional teams, including business, product management, engineering, data science, ML and analytics, to identify and prioritize data opportunities that will deliver material business impact. You should be able to tailor your communications to your audience whether collaborating with business partners or participating with architects in a design review. In addition to your strategic capabilities, you will be relied on to respond to tactical issues by being the technical backstop for your teams, guiding the teams and leveraging your extended network of relationships across the company to drive resolutions.
What You'll Do:
- Own the technical build of the Data Products and Platform, while driving automation on data platforms and products. You will ensure the data solutions clearly reflect and effectively solve the business problem in question.
- Define and implement best practices and emerging data technologies for data engineering, data integration, data modeling, data governance, and data security to ensure the platform is flexible, scalable, secure, compliant and performant.
- Accountable for the quality of your data platforms and products (availability, reliability, resilience, security, etc.) and adherence to consistent standards for engineering excellence.
- Understand and drive the architecture of data. Clearly communicate quality attributes and risks for data solutions and products to multiple audiences.
- Guide managers, technical leaders, and senior data engineers in carefully considering business goals, trade-offs, quality attributes, cross-cutting concerns, and risks prior to committing to design decisions.
- Responsible for developing and growing the leadership and engineering talent of the data engineering organization.
- Recognized as a champion of ezCater values.
- Responsible for people management duties across engineering teams including: team staffing, retention, goal setting/assessment, organizational culture, performance management and execution on strategic initiatives.
- Responsible for establishing and measuring metrics that track the performance of teams and the organization.
- Stakeholder management: collaborates with Business Leaders, Product, Analytics and DS to understand business goals, translate them to data initiatives, help the team with right prioritization and set a strategic vision for your teams.
- Responsible for the vision for data products and platforms and thought leadership across technology and organization.
- Should proactively research and understand industry trends in data domains.
- Responsible for building an organizational culture that values accountability, ownership, innovation, honesty, and continuous improvement.
- Responsible for establishing and maturing the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) processes in data platforms and improving deployment safety and speed through CI/CD.
- Influential beyond the technology organization. You have a deep network of cross functional peers who value your perspective.
What You'll Do:
- 10+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building data products and platforms at scale.
- Experience with cloud based platforms such as AWS (preferred), Azure, or GCP.
- 10+ years of experience leading a combination of individual contributors, ranging from entry level to principal data engineers, and managers ranging from Data Engineering Managers to experienced senior leaders.
- Strong technical skills, including experience with real-time streaming (kafka, kinesis), ETL/ELT pipelines, data modeling (on Snowflake, Databricks) and data warehousing.
- Experience with big data technologies, such as Hadoop, Spark, etc. helping build data lake/mesh.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and business concepts to technical stakeholders.
- A track record of building strong cross-functional relationships and integrating a variety of perspectives with empathy first.
The national cash compensation range for this role is $207,000-$286,000* per year.
*Please note: Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise and region & may vary from the amount above. This range does not represent additional compensation benefits (such as equity, 401K or medical, dental or vision insurance).
ezCater does not sponsor applicants for work visas or legal permanent residence.
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) when you’re in one of our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.
ezCater is the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions with 100,000+ restaurants and caterers and 200+ million people served