Principal Data Architect
ezCater is the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions and is purpose-built for business. ezCater's corporate food platform and flexible, scalable food solutions allow organizations to centralize and track their food spend, and fulfill everything from daily employee meals to client meetings and company all-hands. ezCater backs this up with business-grade, best-in-class, customer service and an unmatched nationwide footprint. We're backed by top investors including Insight, Iconiq, Lightspeed, GIC, SoftBank, and Quadrille.
As we grow rapidly, ezCater is looking for a Principal Data Architect to help shape the next generation of our Data Technology platform. The principal data architect will be designing, developing and maintaining the Enterprise Data architecture, as well as patterns, solutions and standards that address scaling of capabilities including the management, movement, storage, access and security of data in an industry leading way. The architect will serve as a transformational technology leader, advocating and influencing the Data Engineering, Data Infrastructure and Machine Learning teams towards a more modular, scalable, and robust data technology stack. Reporting directly to the VP of Data Technology, this role will work closely with business, product, engineering teams to ensure that our data architecture aligns with our business goals. They will also provide a standard common business vocabulary, express strategic requirements, outline high-level integrated designs to meet those requirements, and align with enterprise strategy and related business architecture.
What You'll Do:
- Own the technical and architectural direction across the entire data life cycle, including, data ingestion, data platform, foundational data, curated data marts, machine learning, data science, master data management, and analytics
- Define and own the data architecture framework, standards, and principles, including modeling, pipelines, metadata, security, reference data such as product codes and customer categories, and master data such as customers, catering partners, menus, and employees
- Provide guidance, technical expertise and reference architecture to data teams on architecture best practices, standards, methodologies
- Collaborating and coordinating with multiple teams, stakeholders, partners, and external vendors
- Lead by example and serve as a role model for the Data Technology org
- Actively maintain and build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust
- Align our technology with the goals of the business and strategic objectives
- Coach data engineers & ML engineers in architecture skills and thinking. Mentor and up-skill engineers from diverse backgrounds and skill-sets. Align staff engineers across the data domain. Develop curricula around key skills gaps
- Partner with cross-functional teams to define data requirements, design data models, and implement data solutions that meet business needs.
- Facilitate technical discussions across teams, organizations, and technology stacks
- Manage and identify organizational-wide risk, making recommendations on solutions or workarounds
- Work with engineering leads and Product Managers to define data architecture and build prototypical software stack
- Communicate cross functionally to drive alignment across data, engineering and product
- Align data architecture and systems with regulatory requirements, data privacy, and security standards
- Assist in building data governance processes, policies, and procedures
- Conduct research on emerging technologies and trends in the data & machine learning architecture space and recommend improvements to existing architecture
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for assessment and improvements
What You Have:
- 10+ years of experience in data architecture, data modeling and data management, with specific expertise on scaling data systems
- Experience across modern cloud based data ecosystems. AWS and Snowflake experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of data architecture best practices, data modeling tools, and ETL processes
- Solid understanding of architectural design patterns and strategies with cloud-based data architecture, data lakes, data lakehouse, data mesh and data warehousing
- Ability to operate at the system level to design and deliver on both rising-tide and step-function investments
- Track record of technical leadership via collaboration, mentorship, and leveling up teams
- Ability to create analysis and quick prototypes for different implementation alternatives on data ecosystems
The national cash compensation range for this role is $210,000 - $285,000* per year
*Please note: Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise and region & may vary from the amount above. This range does not represent additional compensation benefits (such as equity, 401K or medical, dental or vision insurance).
ezCater does not sponsor applicants for work visas or legal permanent residence.
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) when you’re in one of our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.
ezCater is the most trusted provider of corporate food solutions with 100,000+ restaurants and caterers and 200+ million people served