API & Data Model Architect
In a world where shipping expectations and complexity are greater than ever, Shipwell is on a mission to empower supply chain efficiency at scale across every company size, stage, and industry. Supply chain solutions today are highly disconnected, rigid, and difficult to use, but Shipwell is disrupting the status quo. Our solution combines everything our customers need in a comprehensive platform that adapts as the market and business demands change, so they can effectively manage the entire process in one place and never have to rip and replace. Shipwell is proud to be recognized by industry experts as a leader in shipping and logistics, including Gartner Magic Quadrant for TMS and Forbes 2020 Next Billion-Dollar Startup. Join us and be part of the Shipping Evolution(R)
Shipwell is a fast-paced, high-energy start-up that strives to build the future of shipping every day. Diversity of thought and cross-department collaboration is very important to us. We deliver open, honest, careful communication and work as hard as we play. We create & deliver solutions that are revolutionizing the industry, which brings excitement and purpose to our work. If you are looking for a place that will help you tap into your best work-self and give you hands-on experience building something big, then we invite you to come and build the future of shipping with us!
About the Role
The culture at Shipwell is API first, and as such this role will heavily influence the design of our APIs and data model. This role is part of our architecture group and will work across our teams to provide a consistent developer experience. This person should feel comfortable presenting to large groups both internal and external to Shipwell. As well as creating sample applications demonstrating how to use the APIs they design and publishing “How To” articles defining recommended design patterns for the Shipwell developer community.
What you’ll do when you get here:
- Consistently ship high-quality code to production
- Build for perf and high availability
- Clean up messes. You'll refactor our technical debt into organized, efficient services
- Maintain quality standards. Stay up to date on best practices and enforce them with code reviews
- Write beautiful Python microservices, lambdas, and workers that rely on our event architecture
- Proactively find problems or gaps in our codebase and fix them
- Own your apps: Fix, bugs, talk to users, and regularly update your existing applications
- Write unit tests
What you need to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 7+ years of experience
- Experience releasing REST APIs for public consumption
- A self-starter that can get stuff done with little supervision. We expect for you to fill in the blanks and work with your teammates to get it launched.
- Ability to empathize with our users and really listen to their requirements
- Strong CS fundamentals, deep experience in a modern backend (Django, Rails, Spring), database modeling (ORM or raw), and a desire to learn and master your craft
- An understanding of application performance (Big-O and profiling) and data structures
- You were raised on the cloud (AWS, GCP) and are comfortable living in a containerized world
What is Preferred:
- You've worked in the logistics industry
- Experience with Python frameworks like Django, Flask, and Fast API
- Devops Knowledge - Docker, Jenkins, Terraform
- Experience with an event architecture
- You've written enterprise integrations
- NoSQL Experience (Mongo, Redis)
- 401k plan (including match)
- Generous parental leave
- Competitive salary and equity opportunity
- Team building events and office competitions
- Friendly, talented, and inclusive company culture
- Office in Austin, TX or 100% remote
- Health, vision, dental, teladoc, HSA, FSA, & Life insurance
- Incredible growth opportunity at a fast growing company
- Subsidized wifi, cell phone, and educational reimbursements
- Receive a technology package including a MacBook Pro
---The Salary Range for this role is between $140,000 - $160,000 based on Years of Experience, Skillset, and Location.
Here at Shipwell, we are a Remote Forward company. You have the opportunity to work within our office located in Austin, TX or you can choose to be fully remote.
Shipwell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any sort. We do celebrate diversity and believe experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Diversity in our team makes for better problem solving, more creative thinking, and ultimately a better product and company culture.
Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of impact, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fast paced and collaborative environment. Shipwell strives to have an inclusive work environment; so if you are hard working & good at what you do then please come as you are. We want you to contribute, grow, & learn at Shipwell and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
We are looking forward to adding new perspectives to our team!
For more information about Shipwell visit shipwell.com, or connect with us on Twitter @shipwell, LinkedIn, and Facebook.com/Shipwellinc
Our solution combines everything shippers need, from transportation management and visibility to procurement, in a comprehensive, easy-to-use platform