Principal Data Engineer
Principal Data Engineer
- EA 000219 - Fully Remote
Primary Location United States-EA Home Based
Electrify America is committed to revolutionizing the way people charge. As the country's largest open DC fast charging network, Electrify America is actively contributing to electrifying mobility today and building a more sustainable future.
At Electrify America, we value innovation, collaboration, and a commitment to sustainability. We strive to establish a diverse and inclusive workplace where employees can develop personally and professionally. As a team member at this rapidly growing company, you can work on state-of-the-art technology and join a team making a significant impact in the world. If you're interested in joining a dynamic, innovative company, Electrify America is a place where you can learn, grow, and make a difference!
The Principal Data Engineer is responsible for the development and improvement of the existing strategy of pulling and transforming data which incorporates a variety of data sources like Network Management systems, Payment processors, SFTP servers as well as reporting and visualization tools. The role shall continuously use cutting edge data technology to support the growth of the organization.
This role will be a part of the Data Pipeline team and work with and mentor junior Data Engineers to ensure that the quality of reporting and data accuracy is consistently maintained using repeatable processes so that business partners and cross functional teams can count on the accuracy and on time delivery of all work requests.
The Principal Data Engineer will be the technical interface between work streams for data reporting and transformation and must be able to work cross collaboratively with differing viewpoints and voices. The Principal Data Engineer will be responsible for helping with ticket reviews and signoff including code reviews for teammates as well as our external development partner.
The Principle Data Engineer will coordinate the external and internal data reporting and engineering teams to achieve assigned goals from the Manager of the Data Pipeline team.
To be successful, the role will be a team player with a knack for communication with other developers as well as with internal and external stakeholders. The Principal Data Engineer will solve Data problems quickly and effectively, taking long-term and far-reaching implications into consideration, and will create long-term solutions to ensure that the business partners are provided with data based information as needed.
Quick analysis and translation of business or functional requirements, to technical requirements, together with nimble review, analysis and successful resolution of bugs or errors, are critical to this position.
Main responsibility – Data Engineering and Transformation 60% of time spent
· Assisting Data Architect with managing the tools and data flow of the existing Electrify America Data Pipeline
· Improvement of the current data deliverability process and data flow
· Provide expert insight into the data to business partners and stakeholders to support data driven decisions
· Support Data Architect as needed in integration of new data sources including specification of interfaces into the data pipeline, if needed support data transitioning as well.
· Support Analysis and visualization in reporting tools
· Coordinate external SLA partners for data pipeline and analysis
· Work with Cyber Security team to ensure data and especially PII are protected throughout the complete data pipeline at rest as well as in transit
Additional responsibilities –Tool set and tool chain improvements 35 % of time
· Work together with Manager on concepts to optimize the way EA transforms and reports on data
· After confirmation coordinate implementation of concepts into daily practice with Data Pipeline team and monitor adherence
Additional responsibilities – reporting 5 % of time
· Provide support and mentorship to the rest of the data pipeline team as needed on new concepts or challenges they are facing with reports or projects
· Support Leadership initiatives with Data solutions as needed
Years of Relevant Experience:
- 10+ years of relevant experience
· Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Statistics or relevant degree or technical equivalent
- Masters or above
- 10+ years’ experience in Data Analysis and Quality
- Proven Proficiency as a Lead Data Engineer covering complex solutions and integrations
- Growth mindset; demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies or priorities and learn or pivot quickly as the data pipe team matures with its tools and tech stack.
- Robust problem-solving and analytical skills
- Significant attention to detail
- Time management and organizational skills, with ability to meet tight deadlines when internal or external customers have urgent needs
- Problem-solving: Target-oriented, driven work style with analytic problem-solving skills to translate business needs or issues into data delivery solutions across platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proactive mindset in working with the tools and systems used on the Data Pipeline team as well as working with the Data Architect on improvements and or solution needs.
- Excellent written and oral communication, including presentation skills
- Excellent teamwork and cross-functional team management skills
- Able to gain credibility across business units at a leadership level by showcasing expertise and deep knowledge of Data Engineering Best PracticeGuidance and always following those guidelines within all projects assigned to the Data Pipe Team.
Specialized Skills (Required):
- Experience with cloud-based data warehouses/Lake Houses such as Snowflake, Databricks, or RedShift
- Experience in databases such as MongoDB, Oracle, SQL, and web servers (ie Apache)
- Experience developing pipelines for SQL and NoSQL databases with data ingestion/ETL tools such as Fivetran, Stitch, dbt, Segment, Matillion, or customized code
- Experience with tools such as Python or Spark, especially for automation purposes
- Proficiency with orchestration and scheduling tools such as Airflow, Luigi, Cron, and Kafka,
- Proven proficiency with implementation and use of visualization and analysis tools, for example Tableau
- Expertise in implementing complex data pipeline systems that include various data sources, ETL tools visualizations and output streams
- Experience in Agile Development, including Jira and Confluence
Specialized Skills (Desired):
- Expertise with managing data and reporting needs related to Energy or Automotive
- Proficiency in AWS based Snowflake and Tableau environment
- Proficiency with the integration of Data analysis tools like Alteryx
- Experience working with outside contractors and vendor partners to maintain data integrity and implement new processes as needed for pulling and analyzing data
- Proficiency with tools such as Python or Spark, especially for automation purposes
- Travel—Domestic approximately 10-15%, up to 20% depending on employee location
Electrify America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, color, gender identity/expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
Salary range is dependent on factors such as geographical differentials, industry-based experience, skills, training, credentials, and other qualifications.
In the state of California, the salary range is $108,500 - $165,600.
In the state of Colorado, the salary range is $98,600 - $150,500.
In the state of Washington, the salary range is $108,500 - $165,600.
In New York City, the salary range is $118,300 - $180,600.
In Westchester County, the salary range is $118,300 - $180,600.
In the state of Rhode Island, the salary range is $98,600 - $150,500.
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc
Volkswagen Group of America: continuing the tradition of your favorite Volkswagen brands, right at home in America.