Software Engineer - Data Platform
A little about us. Splunk is here to build a safer and more resilient digital world. We’re proud to say that we’re the key to enterprise resilience for more than 11,000 enterprise organizations that use our Unified Security and Observability Platform to keep their systems secure and reliable. We’re also especially proud of our award-winning culture and our regular appearance on those “Best Places to Work” lists.
If you end up joining us, we’ll only ask you one thing: bring your whole, authentic self, what we call your million data points. So bring your work experience, problem-solving skills and talent, of course, but also bring your joy, your passion and all the things that make you, you. Because when you feel free to be you, it makes it a lot easier for us to be us.
Are you interested in being part of building the next-generation and highly-scaled industry-leading data platform for machine data? The Splunk Data Platform Search Execution team is looking for a Software Engineer to join our backend distributed systems engineering team.
You will be working on the core of Splunk's Search technology and be part of the team to solve the most challenging and exciting problems in the Search backend area to delight our customers with high-performance, reliable, and efficient solutions.
We give our engineers an environment in which they can contribute from day one while also providing learning and growth opportunities. You'll learn how our entire stack works, from data ingestion and storage to searching, reporting, and building dashboards, all in distributed environments. The work you’ll do will directly impact the experience of our customers.
- Design, develop, and maintain features for Splunk search infrastructure.
- Build robust, fault-tolerant distributed systems in a multi-threaded/multi-process environment.
- Analyze and improve the scalability of data collection, routing, storage, and retrieval.
- Define and perform various search language layer optimizations/transformations.
- 5 years of related experience with a technical Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent practical experience; or 3 years and a technical Master’s degree; or equivalent practical experience.
- Master knowledge of developing and debugging any object-oriented language like C++.
- You have knowledge of backend systems, storage, filesystem, memory, and multithreading.
- You have familiarity with any query language and processing like SQL, SPL, etc.
- You have a proven foundation in operating systems, data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- You have knowledge of modern distributed system design and implementation in the Unix/Linux environment.
- Passion for solving hard problems and exploring new technologies.
- You have knowledge and experience with AWS services, like EC2, S3, etc.
What We Offer You
- A constant stream of new things for you to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects and contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- A set of exceptionally talented and dedicated peers, all the way from engineering and QA to product management and customer support.
- A stable, collaborative and encouraging work environment.
- We don't expect people to work 12-hour days. We want you to have a successful time outside of work too. Want to work from home sometimes? No problem. We trust our Colleagues to be responsible with their time and dedication, and believe that balance helps cultivate an outstanding environment.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Note: Splunk provides flexibility and choice in the working arrangement for most roles, including remote and/or in-office roles. We have a market-based pay structure which varies by location. Please note that the base pay range is a guideline and for candidates who receive an offer, the base pay will vary based on factors such as work location as set out below, as well as the knowledge, skills and experience of the candidate. In addition to base pay, this role is eligible for incentive compensation and may be eligible for equity or long-term cash awards.
Benefits are an important part of Splunk's Total Rewards package. This role is eligible for a competitive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, a 401(k) plan and match, paid time off, an ESPP and much more! Learn more about our comprehensive benefits and wellbeing offering at https://splunkbenefits.com.
Base Pay Range
SF Bay Area, Seattle Metro, and New York City Metro Area
Base Pay Range: $136,000.00 - 187,000.00 per year
California (excludes SF Bay Area), Washington (excludes Seattle Metro), Washington DC Metro, and Massachusetts
Base Pay Range: $124,000.00 - 170,500.00 per year
All other cities and states excluding California, Washington, Massachusetts, New York City Metro Area and Washington DC Metro Area.
Base Pay Range: $116,000.00 - 159,500.00 per year