IT Data Engineer
Why Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic has been ranked the #1 hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, as well as #1 in more specialties than any other care provider. As we work together to put the needs of the patient first, we are also dedicated to our employees, investing in competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit plans – to take care of you and your family, now and in the future. And with continuing education and advancement opportunities at every turn, you can build a long, successful career with Mayo Clinic. You’ll thrive in an environment that supports innovation, is committed to ending racism and supporting diversity, equity and inclusion, and provides the resources you need to succeed.
Data Engineer gains access to data across the organization and provides ongoing analysis of the data by monitoring, profiling and analyzing databases. Requires a mix of functional, data and technical skills. The right candidate must be able to understand business requirements, translate them into information needs and implement those requirements using data available. The hire will be responsible for expanding and optimizing data architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems. The Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects, and data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
Core job duties include:
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Strong knowledge of SQL required. Ability to identify sets and subsets of information across multiple joins or unions of tables is preferred in addition to writing and troubleshooting SQL queries for data mining
- Perform complex data analysis and investigation for customer requests to explain results and to make appropriate recommendations.
- Strong understanding of data modeling concepts
- Problem solver with the initiative to think critically to identify improvement opportunities (error detection, error correction, root cause analysis)
- Understand ETL that will aid in verification and testing of data
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Analyze business objectives and develop data solutions to meet customer needs.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively participate in multiple, concurrent projects
- Improve and customize current data solutions to meet business functional and non-functional requirements.
- Research new and existing data sources in order to contribute to new development, improve data management processes, and make recommendations for data quality initiatives.
- Perform periodic data quality reviews for internal and external data.
- Ensure timely resolution of queries and data issues.
- Look for new ways to find and collect data by researching potential new sources of information.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering from an accredited University or College; OR an Associate’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering from an accredited University or College with 2 years of experience.
Demonstrated ability to analyze and profile data as a means to address various business problems through leveraging advanced data modeling, source system databases, or data mining techniques, is required. May provide consultative services to departments/divisions and committees. Demonstrated application of several problem-solving methodologies, planning techniques, continuous improvement methods, and analytical tools and methodologies (e.g. data analysis, data profiling, modeling, etc.) required. Incumbent must have ability to manage a varied workload of projects with multiple priorities and stay current on healthcare trends and enterprise changes. Interpersonal skills and time management skills are required. Requires strong analytical skills and the ability to identify and recommend solutions, advanced computer application skills and a commitment to customer service. Experience with data analysis, quality, and profiling; including data exploration tools including but not limited to Rapid SQL, AQT, Information Analyzer, and Informatics.
Authorization to work and remain in the United States, without necessity for Mayo Clinic sponsorship now, or in the future (for example, be a U.S. Citizen, national, or permanent resident, refugee, or asylee). Also, Mayo Clinic does not participate in the F-1 STEM OPT extension program.
$95,492.80 - $133,681.60 / year
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Just as our reputation has spread beyond our Minnesota roots, so have our locations. Today, our employees are located at our three major campuses in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, Jacksonville, Florida, Rochester, Minnesota, and at Mayo Clinic Health System campuses throughout Midwestern communities, and at our international locations. Each Mayo Clinic location is a special place where our employees thrive in both their work and personal lives. Learn more about what each unique Mayo Clinic campus has to offer, and where your best fit is.
Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to access job openings or to apply for a job are available.
When you need answers, you know where to go. The No. 1 hospital in the nation, for you.