Experienced Software Engineer (Enterprise Data), considering multiple levels
What You'll Do
Operating at the intersection of financial services and technology, Principal builds financial tools that help our customers live better lives. We take pride in being a purpose-led firm, motivated by our mission to make financial security accessible to all. Our mission, integrity, and customer focus have made us a trusted leader for over 140 years.
With a goal to have 80% of our workloads in the cloud by 2026, there is an exciting opportunity before us to further modernize our systems to meet the growing needs of our customers.
As a Software Engineer in Enterprise Data and Analytics (EDA), you’ll join a group of engineers in our data space focusing on the data producer experience of our Enterprise Data Foundation (EDF). You’ll be accountable for defining and developing enablement services, patterns, and resources to support a large and diverse community of data engineers/producers who will supply data to the EDF. This provides a unique opportunity to provide highly valuable and critically important solutions to Principal as an enterprise while gaining exposure to multi-functional engineers and teams. You’ll lie at a crossing of software, data, and infrastructure engineering.
Here in EDA, we are in the midst of many strategic and digital initiatives that impact the enterprise! If you like working with data and understanding how data flows through our various systems, then this is just the team for you.
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Develop and support the right kind of experience through tooling, patterns, and services to work towards our goals of efficiency, consistency, and scale
- Collaborate with strong engineering teams and product owners to develop high quality data products in support of enterprise strategy and customer analytics
- Design, test and build reliable and efficient data pipelines through full stack development that spans data, infrastructure, and software engineering
- Develop and maintain CI/CD pipelines that test and deploy software, data, and infrastructure artifacts across managed environment
- Consult with business partners on future technical trends/directions to meet business strategy initiatives
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality through learning new technology and continuously growing through creative solutioning
- Provide technical advice and weigh in on technical strategic decisions that influence other teams or the company at large while understanding the trade-offs between technical, analytical and product needs and lead to solutions
Who You Are
- Associate or Bachelors degree with a preference in a science, technology, engineering, or math related field or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years engineering experience including;
- Software development skills (e.g. python, typescript, java, etc.)
- AWS with an emphasis on infrastructure as code
- DevOps & CI/CD Pipelines
- Designing and building systems
- Skilled at driving strategy and change, influencing others and providing project leadership
- Strong motivation for continuous learning, mentoring, problem solving, analytical thinking, and helping others grow along with you
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment to solve problems and deliver customer value
Additional Desired Skills:
- Data Management (ETL, data pipelines, database management)
- Enterprise level environment experience
- Experience with big data tooling
Salary Range Information
Salary ranges below reflect targeted base salaries. Non-sales positions have the opportunity to participate in a bonus program. Sales positions are eligible for sales incentives, and in some instances a bonus plan, whereby total compensation may far exceed base salary depending on individual performance. Actual compensation for all roles will be based upon geographic location, work experience, education, licensure requirements and/or skill level and will be finalized at the time of offer.
$77400 - $182400 / year
This role offers the ability for in-office, hybrid (blending both office and remote work in a typical workweek), and remote work arrangements. You’ll work with your leader to determine which option may align best based on several factors.
We’ll consider talent at the next levels with the right experience and skills.
At this time, we're not considering candidates that need any type of immigration sponsorship (additional work authorization or permanent work authorization) now or in the future to work in the United States. This includes, but IS NOT LIMITED TO: F1-OPT, F1-CPT, H-1B, TN, L-1, J-1, etc. For additional information around work authorization needs please use the following links.
Nonimmigrant Workers and Green Card for Employment-Based Immigrants
Investment Code of Ethics
For Principal Global Investors positions, you’ll need to follow an Investment Code of Ethics related to personal and business conduct as well as personal trading activities for you and members of your household. These same requirements may also apply to other positions across the organization.
While our expertise spans the globe, we're bound by one common purpose: to foster a world where financial security is accessible to all. And our success depends on the unique experiences, backgrounds, and talents of our employees – individually and all of us together. Explore our core values, benefits and why we’re an exceptional place to grow your career.
Principal is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Principal Financial Group
Principal Financial Group is an American global financial investment management and insurance company headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa, U.S.