Principal Data Engineer
For those who want to invent the future of health care, here's your opportunity. We're going beyond basic care to health programs integrated across the entire continuum of care. Join us and help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
One of five regions in the Optum nationwide network, Optum Tri-State comprises three large multispecialty groups, CareMount Medical, ProHEALTH NY, and Riverside Medical Group. Optum Tri-State brings patients local care, backed by national expertise. As a premier provider of health care services, Optum Tri-State offers services including primary care, urgent care, a diverse range of specialty care, outpatient surgery, and imaging. The regions draws on the knowledge of leading doctors and healthcare experts to help 1.6 million patients across 630 locations access high quality, affordable healthcare within their community.
Together, for better health, Optum is committed to providing the highest standard of comprehensive medical care in a patient-centered and compassionate environment, with the comfort and convenience of being close to home.
If helping people live their healthiest lives is attractive to you, Optum is the place to be!
- We value work-life balance and have flexible on-site and remote non-clinical opportunities available.
- We believe in employee development, professional growth and company longevity
- Our culture is one of mutual respect, teamwork and equality
- Competitive salary, great benefits, and other attractive incentives
The Principal Data Engineer is responsible for data acquisition strategies and integration scripting and tools, data migrations, conversions, purging and back-ups; fulfills data acquisition strategy requirements. They work with product, financial control, analysts, users and other stakeholders to understand business requirements and supports data architecture to translate into data acquisition strategies. The Lead Data Engineer will author artifacts defining standards and definitions for storing, processing and moving data, including associated processes and business rules. Additionally, the Lead Data Engineer will map the details within these their artifacts to business processes, non-functional characteristics, QA criteria and technical enablement. The role is responsible to be constantly thinking through the needs of the business to support efficient and error free processes.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Performance Requirements:
- The Principal Data Engineer will be responsible for finding trends in datasets and developing workflows and algorithms to help make raw data more useful to the enterprise
- He or she will also be responsible for creating data acquisition strategy and develops data set processes
- Designs and implements standardized data management procedures around data staging, data ingestion, data preparation, data provisioning and data destruction (scripts, programs, automation, assisted by automation, etc.)
- Ensures quality of technical solutions as data moves across regional data environments
- Provide insight into the changing data environment, data processing, data storage and utilization requirements for the company and offer suggestions for solutions
- Ensures managed analytic assets support Optum’s strategic goals by creating and verifying data acquisition requirements and strategy
- Develop, construct, test and maintain architectures
- Align architecture with business requirements and use programming language and tools
- Identify ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Conduct research for industry and business questions
- Deploy sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning and statistical methods
- Prepare data for predictive and prescriptive modeling and find hidden patterns using data
- Use data to discover tasks that can be automated
- Create data monitoring capabilities for each business process and work with data consumers on updates
- Aligns data architecture to Optum solution architecture; contributes to overall solution architecture
- Help maintain the integrity and security of the company data
- Other – Performs other duties as assigned including personnel recruitment
- Other – Performs people leadership responsibilities for Data Engineering function
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of experience in a data engineering
- 10+ years of experience in data programing languages such as Java or Python
- 5+ years of experience working in a Big Data ecosystem processing data; includes file systems, data structures/databases, automation, security, messaging, movement, etc.
- 5+ years of experience working in a production cloud infrastructure
- Hands-on experience in leading healthcare data transformation initiatives from on-premise to cloud deployment
- Demonstrated experience working in an Agile environment as a Data Engineer
- Hands-on work experience with Microsoft Azure, including creating databases, schemas, structures/constructs, accessing them with external-ingestion patterns, and storing data in object-oriented repositories (ADLS)
- Hands-on work experience using Microsoft Azure services and strong familiarity on how to configure, enable, and utilize (Synapse, ADLS, DataBricks, Purview, Monitor, SQL Azure MI, DataFactory, and other Analytics / Engineering services)
- Experience with Snowflake – Implementation and Integration
- Experience developing, prototyping, and testing engineered processes, products or services
- Knowledge of SQL and multiple programming languages in order to optimize data processes and retrieval
- Knowledge of provider-sponsored health insurance systems/processes and the Healthcare industry
- Proficiency with relational, graph and noSQL databases; expertise in SQL
- Skills in Microsoft Office including Project, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Visio
- Proven ability to work in distributed systems
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects/deadlines, identifying the necessary steps and moving forward through completion
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to problems
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills with ability to communicate across functional departments to achieve desired outcomes
- Proven interpersonal skills with proven ability to influence with impact across functions and disciplines
- Proven track record of success directing the efforts of data engineers and business analysts within a deadline-driven and fast-paced environment
- Proven results using an analytical perspective to identify engineering patterns within complex strategies and ideas, and break them down into engineered code components
Careers at OptumCare. We're on a mission to change the face of health care. As the largest health and wellness business in the US, we help 58 million people navigate the health care system, finance their health care needs and achieve their health and well-being goals. Fortunately, we have a team of the best and brightest minds on the planet to make it happen. Together we're creating the most innovative ideas and comprehensive strategies to help heal the health care system and create a brighter future for us all. Join us and learn why there is no better place to do your life's best work.(sm)
OptumCare is committed to creating an environment where physicians focus on what they do best: care for their patients. To do so, OptumCare provides administrative and business support services to both owned and affiliated medical practices which are part of OptumCare. Each medical practice part and their physician employees have complete authority with regards to all medical decision-making and patient care. OptumCare’s support services do not interfere with or control the practice of medicine by the medical practices or any of their physicians.
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York, Rhode Island, or Washington Residents Only: The salary range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York, Rhode Island or Washington residents is $101,200 to $184,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
UnitedHealth Group helps people live healthier lives and helps make the health system work better for everyone.