About the Role
Rocket Travel is looking for a Data Engineer with experience in Python/SQL to join our growing Data Science Team.
The Data Science Team oversees building internal-facing decision making tools and product-facing production models that aid in scaling our growing business.
Rocket Travel is a place where you:
- Work with a group of intrinsically motivated people with a track record for building successful new businesses from scratch.
- Embody curiosity, community, and accountability. We live and build products by these values every day.
- Own decisions and take action that can be implemented in a matter of days (or hours).
- Get inspired and encouraged to vacation faster, with an annual vacation stipend.
- Receive a competitive compensation package, including bonus, 401k with match, flexible vacation time, maternity and paternity benefits, health, and dental insurance.
- Total Compensation is based on experience - Salary: $100k -135k, Bonus: up to 20%
- Can have the option to work remotely. Though we have great offices in Chicago’s West Loop and in NYC’s Empire State building, we have a hybrid team, a flexible work environment, and we welcome full-time remote applicants.
- Share your passion for travel with equally adventurous teammates.
- Work within the largest online travel company in the world. Rocket Travel creates B2C and B2B2C travel products and is part of Booking Holdings (BKNG). We have many worldwide partners and a diversified business. Despite the world’s current situation, Booking Holdings has been rated the healthiest company in travel, and Rocket itself is already seeing travel demand surpass pre-pandemic levels
As a Data Engineer at Rocket Travel, you will:
- Build SQL and python data pipelines to address different business needs, which includes: updating pipelines for generating financial reports, modeling data for front-end analytics
- Work closely with a variety of stakeholders across the company including data science, bizops, partnerships, engineering, and finance
- Improve and expand our suite of automated tests using pytest and great expectations
- Continuously improve your skill set by learning new technologies, and eventually grow to researching, piloting, and pitching new tools for the team to adopt
- Collaborate with the data team to deliver projects end to end including ingesting new data to our data warehouse, creating ETLs, and serving our ML models
- Maintain a sense of empathy for our customers and move quickly where users are most acutely affected
- You have worked with SQL for at least 1-2 years in a professional setting and are familiar with advanced usage (CTEs, window functions)
- You are confident using Python and common data libraries (numpy, pandas)
- You have experience working with MPP databases (e.g. Redshift, Vertica, Big Query, etc.)
- You are intellectually curious and self-directed problem solver, keen to work on a variety of data projects and independently search for answers
- You communicate clearly and effectively
Other experience you may have
This is not meant to be a comprehensive list, but more so serve as examples of experience you may have
- Pipeline orchestration (Airflow, DBT)
- DevOps (Git, Jenkins, GitLab)
- AWS data related tools (kinesis, glue, S3, sagemaker)
- Big data technologies (Hadoop, Spark)
- Containerization technologies (kubernetes, ECS, docker)
About Rocket Travel
Rocket Travel partners with loyalty programs around the world to make travel even more rewarding. Our customers can earn and redeem miles, points, and gift cards, or save big with exclusive discounts, for booking travel accommodations around the world, from global favorite brands to boutique bed and breakfasts. We also help our partners curate vacation excursion planning and car rental services, with a completely branded experience from the first search to check-out from their stay.
We attract customers from every corner of the globe with a user experience that's built in-house from ideation to finished product: our team includes front- and back-end developers, customer service, data analysts, designers, marketers, accountants, partnership sales, and managers. We have offices in Chicago, NYC, Bogota, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, and Cebu, as well as colleagues working remotely across four continents. Our global partnerships range from world-class airlines to international banks to large-scale shopping platforms.
We began in 2013 as a start-up, were acquired by Bookings Holdings two quick years later, and we've been growing rapidly ever since. Rocket Travel is dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where everyone has the opportunity to reach new heights in their career, and expand their knowledge working alongside talented, dedicated colleagues. We encourage all applicants with a touch of wanderlust to apply to our team, as we work toward helping our travelers reach the vacation of their dreams.
Candidates should be authorized to accept employment in the US from any employer, should be willing to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and should be able to work the same daily working hours as our Chicago office.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are Rocket Travel priorities, and we are looking for candidates who will contribute positively to the company's mission to be an inclusive environment. Rocketmiles has multiple employee resource groups, including a diversity and inclusion committee, and has committed to DEI goals in hiring, employee retention, and the overall demographics of the organization. DEI is an important element of our values and we conduct ongoing and regular training for our teammates in an effort to foster collaboration, improve morale, and support one another.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Rocket Travel, Inc
Rocket Travel takes brands & travelers even farther by strengthen the loyalty of your customers and offering more opportunities for travel with an emp...