Data Scientist (Engineer II)
About the Team
The Data Science team provides critical insights and tools to help the executive leadership team, technology teams, and business units optimize test delivery, test development, and test security. Our expertise is understanding a wide array of business problems and using a variety of techniques including data analysis, machine learning, and software engineering to create value from data and support decision making. We have a passion for data analysis, programming, applying new technologies, and building practical solutions. Our small tight knit self-organized team of 6 Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers collaborates closely and uses creative problem solving to tackle difficult challenges for many of the organization’s strategic initiatives. We love having virtual happy hours and celebrating our accomplishments.
About the Position
As a Data Scientist, you are a passionate collaborator who works closely with team members and stakeholders. You relish the opportunity to bring your ideas, love of coding, data savviness, and business acumen to improve processes that are expensive or impossible to perform without machine learning. You are not shy about taking on new work you may not have done before while eagerly building machine learning models to support the new digital testing platform or eagerly providing executive leadership critical insights to make strategic decisions.
In this role, you will
Develop machine learning applications (40%)
- Design and implement high quality software using the latest and greatest cloud and machine learning technologies
- Independently manage and complete all the work needed to deliver small sized applications and analyses on time and at a very high level of quality
- Help identify and build components of complex machine learning models.
- Judiciously evaluate the effectiveness and fairness of models and articulate considerations and concerns around implementing models in the context of the business application
- Build functions, APIs, and data stores to make predictions and analyses accessible to other systems.
Data exploration, analysis, and prototyping (40%)
- Create insights from existing data and drive the collection of new data.
- Communicate methodology and results of advanced analyses using accessible language and intuitive data visualizations.
- Create reproducible, documented analyses and models that lend themselves to automation.
Team Operations & Success (20%)
- Help the team break down the work into manageable tasks and support our Agile maturity.
- Assist in the identification and resolution of production issues.
About you, you have:
- Ideally a Master’s in a quantitative discipline or computer science, OR a bachelor’s and 1-2 years related experience, OR 3+ years related experience OR a great story to tell.
- Programming expertise in Python (Preferred) or R (must be eager to learn Python)
- Experience in data and statistical analysis
- Experience in developing Machine Learning (ML) and Deep Learning (DL) solutions to solve real-world problems.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- A passion for solving difficult problems creatively.
- Excellent communication and listening skills, and can help others understand both problems and solutions.
- The ability to tell a story with data.
- Worked within a close-knit team and enjoy helping your colleagues succeed.
- Knowledge in CI/CD, DevOps and Agile
- Knowledge in developing applications on a Serverless or Microservices cloud platform (AWS preferred)
About Our Benefits & Compensation:
College Board offers a strong compensation and benefits package that attracts top talent looking to make a difference in education.
- Our robust benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, paid parental leave, retirement benefits with a generous matching program, and more.
- We reward performance through annual bonuses and provide opportunities for salary growth over time through base compensation increases, merit raises and promotions.
- We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact. The base salary range for a new employee in this position is $110,000 - $115,000 per year. The salary offer of an individual candidate within this range is specific to their qualifications.
- Each salary offer is determined carefully using internal and external benchmarking. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process.
- As a self-sustaining non-profit organization with global impact, College Board offers a job that matters, a team that cares, and a place to learn, innovate and thrive!
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year.
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard.
- We value learning and growth; we offer formal and informal ways to lead through your superpowers, sharpen your strengths, and meet your development goals.
- Our high-performing engineers work with the latest technologies, so you will be constantly learning and sharpening your skills, enabling you to be industry-forward instead of left behind technologically.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
A non-profit clearing a path for all students to own their future