SR. Data Engineer - Pension Administration System
For UCOP internal applicants, please login to the internal candidate gateway at: Jobs at UCOP
UC OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
At the University of California (UC), your contributions make a difference. A world leader producing Nobel and Pulitzer prize recipients with over 150 years of groundbreaking research transforming the world. Choose a career where you can leverage your knowledge, skills and aspirations to inspire and support some of the greatest minds in the world, and those who will follow in their footsteps. Working at the University of California is being part of a unique institution, and a vibrant and diverse community. At the University of California, Office of the President, we propel our mission through impactful work locally, in government centers and systemwide. We are passionate people, serving the greater good.
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the headquarters to the 10 campuses, six academic medical centers and three national laboratories and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world. Learn more about the UC Office of the President
As a security first organization, Technology Delivery Services (TDS) is part of the Information Technology (IT) Department. The TDS teams include Information Security, Planning (architecture and PMO), Application Development, HR & Payroll Development, Infrastructure, and Client Services teams. We maintain an innovative, inclusive, and supportive work environment.
The Senior Data Engineer will be an experienced technical leader in data related development supporting an application ecosystem. This position will support a wide range of data related responsibilities, including but not limited to data processing and data integrity troubleshooting, file import and export, OLTP database changes, and report creation. This work will require collaboration with various teams to research issues and ultimately identify root causes. This position will be presenting analysis and findings to both technical and non-technical teams and documenting their work for others to take forward.
Additionally, this position may support initiatives that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources. They will assist with selecting tools, methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain results. This position will contribute to technical strategy for the team/application while supporting the team in developing highly complex technical designs; they will be a hands-on lead assisting the team to deliver on initiatives.
The role supports the overall work of the data integrations team and assists in fostering an inclusive environment under the direction of the Data Services Manager. They will also provide mentorship and guidance to less experienced co-workers in the maintenance and improvement of data processes.
This position may be required, with notice, to provide remote on-call support during off hours. Occasional travel may be required with notice. Flexible work arrangements are available.
Data and Process Analysis:
- Perform highly complex data analysis of business issues to determine root cause, deliver missing data and remediate underlying issues moving forward
- Assist with analyzation, troubleshooting, and enhancement of existing data integration processes
- May perform QA testing to assist team in delivering solutions in a timely manner
- Directly supports external teams in various testing efforts for data issues and resolutions
- Supports platform changes and operational work by performing technical environment comparisons and validations to ensure system is ready to deliver on the next initiative
- Lead analysis on data-related application performance; develop analysis/reporting which provides insights to the development team on what areas to focus on next
- Develops code changes to implement within the application to remediate data issues and streamline data processing
- Assist with coding, testing, and implementation of existing data integration processes
- Integrates testing into development process to decrease defects.
- Assist application development team on SQL related tasks for Pension application changes and enhancements
- Develop data extracts and reports as requested by end users
- Interpretation of business requirements and translation into proper system and technical requirement specifications for development
- Create technical design documents and related documentation for data-related enhancements and operational changes
- Responsible for the compilation and delivery of content to release changes which includes, but is not limited to SQL DDL scripts, release notes, and design documents
- Understands and applies industry best practices, community standards, department policies and procedures for documentation.
- Lead the maintenance and organization of development team artifacts, including SharePoint sites and document repositories to ensure information is easily accessible and up-to-date
- Provide operational support of the application to troubleshoot errors
- Be an active member of the on-call support team, including responsibilities for off-hours support if needed
- Other operational support as required to ensure the stability and performance of the application and platform
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in Data development or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with the following:
- SQL, Stored Procedures, Functions for OLTP & OLAP systems (Microsoft SQL Server or related technology)
- SQL Server management studio and Visual Studio
- Data Integrations & ETL development (SSIS or related technology)
- Report development (SSRS or related technology)
- Strong understanding of data integration processes and experience with advanced SQL coding, knowledge identifying and writing performance tuning scripts and tools to efficiently extract and process data.
- Demonstrated advanced experience with Data Analysis and Development, complex data models and relationships of data within application
- Strong Database knowledge and understanding of database structures, database schemas, database objects, relationships and constraints leveraging technologies such as SQL Server and/or related technologies.
- Extensive experience in identifying and documenting requirements/specifications in a data environment
- Technical skills to collaborate with the development team in designing a solution for new functional requirements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms and complex business concepts in technical terms.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with cross functional teams.
- Self-motivated, works independently and as part of a team, able to work with a minimum of supervision, and able to work well with stakeholders and project staff. Ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task across multiple work streams. Demonstrated ability to plan and organize work and deliverables. Able to lead teams to consensus decisions on complex business and technical data challenges.
- Strongly preferred - Pension and/or pension related experience (payroll, benefits, etc.)
- Experience with source control software - preferably Team Foundation Server.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Experience with full software development life-cycle
- Knowledge of best practices through relevant experience across data-related disciplines and technologies particularly for enterprise wide data architectures and data warehousing/BI
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary: $129,000 - $145,000 annually commensurate with skills/experience.
Benefits include 18 days/year of paid vacation, 12 sick days, 16 Observed Holidays and a generous retirement plan. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: Benefits of Belonging
INFO SYS ANL 4 - Grade 25
Applicants who wish to work remotely from within the United States will be considered.
We are unable to sponsor Visas for this role.
HOW TO APPLY
Please be prepared to attach a cover letter and resume with your application.
APPLICATION REVIEW DATE
The first review date for this job is (10/26/2022). The position will be open until filled.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Background Check Process: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position. Background check process at UCOP
Smoke Free Work Environment: The University of California, Office of the President, is smoke & tobacco-free as of January 1, 2014. UC Smoke & Tobacco Free Policy
August 2021 Update: The University of California has issued a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 before physically accessing the University location or programs. Upon hire into a UCOP position, you will be provided detailed instructions on how to comply with this policy including access to the COVID vaccination at no cost. New hires to UCOP who work onsite or will come onsite for any activities at a UCOP or other UC location must comply with this policy within 8 weeks after their start date. The policy allows for employees to request approval for an exception or deferral. UC COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. EEO/AA Employer UC Nondiscrimination Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, strives to make this job board accessible to any and all users. If you have comments regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: Accessibility or email the Human Resource Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.