Sr Data Engineer
Pluto TV, a Paramount Global company, is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 250+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. Pluto TV is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, Pluto TV has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.
Overview & Responsibilities
We are a passionate group providing data needs for all Paramount Streaming properties. This includes Paramount+, PlutoTV, CBS, CBSNews, CBS Sports, and related Sports Properties. Our team is made up of varying engineering roles, including Data, Software, and Ingestion Engineering. We are responsible for driving the Paramount Streaming Data and Insights data strategy and best practices around data collection, pipelines, usage, and infrastructure.
The Senior Data Engineer should possess a deep sense of curiosity and a passion for building smart products based on data and the ability to communicate data structures and tools throughout the VCBS Streaming organization. The candidate for this role will use their skills in reverse engineering, analytics, and creative, experimental solutions to devise data and BI solutions. This engineer supports data pipeline development which includes machine learning algorithms using disparate data sources. The candidate will work closely with BI, Research, Engineering, Marketing, Finance, and Product teams to implement data-driven plans that drive the business. They will have good communication skills and possess the ability to convey knowledge of data structures and tools throughout the Paramount Digital Media organization. This candidate will be expected to lead a project from inception to completion as well as help mentor junior members of the team on best practices and approaches around data.
- Works with large volumes of traffic data and user behaviors to build pipelines that enhance raw data.
- Able to break down and communicate highly complex data problems into simple, feasible solutions.
- Extract patterns from large datasets and transform data into an informational advantage. Find answers to business questions via hands-on exploration of data sets via Jupyter, SQL, dashboards, statistical analysis, and data visualizations.
- Partner with the internal product and business intelligence teams to determine the best approach around data ingestion, structure, and storage. Then, work with the team to ensure these are implemented correctly.
- Contributing ideas on how to make our data more effective and working with other members of the engineering, BI teams, and business units to implement changes.
- Ongoing development of technical solutions while developing and maintaining documentation, at times training impacted teams.
- Early on collaboration with the team on internal initiatives to create strategies that improve company processes.
- Look at ways of improving efficiency by staying current on the latest technology and trends and introducing team members to such.
- Develop prototypes to proof out strategies for data pipelines and products.
- Mentor members of the team and department on best practices and approaches. Lead initiatives in ways to improve the quality of our data as well as make the data more effective, with other members of engineering, BI teams, and business units to implement changes. Able to break down and communicate highly complex data problems into simple, feasible solutions.
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of work experience in Data Engineering and Analytics fields or consulting roles with a focus on digital analytics implementations.
- Experience with data management systems, both relational and NoSQL (e.g., HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Proficient in Python.
- Able to write SQL to perform common types of analysis and transformations. Experience with exploratory data analysis using tools like iPython Notebook, Pandas & matplotlib, etc.
- Strong problem-solving and creative-thinking skills.
- Demonstrated development of ongoing technical solutions while developing and maintaining documentation, at times training impacted teams.
- Experience developing solutions to business requirements via hands-on discovery and exploration of data.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences, as well as translating business requirements into Data Solutions
- Strong Experience with ETL & ELT
- Experience building and deploying applications on a cloud platform (AWS, Google Cloud Platform preferred)
- All candidates must successfully complete a background check prior to starting employment at CBS Interactive. CBS Interactive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. CBS Interactive complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities
- Experience with Docker and container deployment
- Influences and applies data standards, policies, and procedures
- Builds strong commitment within the team to support the appropriate team priorities
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
- Experience with Data Modeling
- Experience with Marketing tools like Kochava, Braze, Branch, Salesforce Marketing Cloud is a plus.
- Experience with Apache Airflow is a plus.
- Familiarity in Hadoop pipelines using Spark, Kafka.
- Familiar with GIT.
- Familiar with Adobe Analytics (Omniture) or Google Analytics.
- Digital marketing strategy including site, video, social media, SEM, SEO, and display advertising.
Hiring Salary Range: $125,000.00 - 155,000.00.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position is bonus eligible.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At Paramount, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Paramount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.paramount.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The latest news & updates from Paramount. Home to iconic studios, networks & streaming services. Creator of fan-favorite entertainment for audiences w...