Health Care Research Data Engineer
MAKE A DIFFERENCE AT OCHIN
OCHIN is a rapidly growing national nonprofit health IT organization with two decades of experience transforming health care delivery to drive health equity. We are hiring for a number of new positions to meet increasing demand. When you choose to join OCHIN, you have the opportunity to continuously grow your skills and do meaningful work to help fulfill our mission.
OCHIN provides leading-edge technology, data analytics, research, and support services to nearly 1,000 community health care sites, reaching nearly 6 million patients nationally. We believe that every individual, no matter their race, ethnicity, background, or zip code, should have a fair opportunity to achieve their full health potential. Our work addresses differences in health that are systemic, avoidable, and unjust. We, partner, learn, innovate, and advocate, in order to close the gap in health for individuals and communities negatively impacted by racism or other structural inequities.
At OCHIN, we value the unique perspectives and experiences of every individual and work hard to maintain a culture of belonging.
Founded in Oregon in 2000, OCHIN employs a growing virtual workforce of more than 900 diverse professionals, working remotely across 46 states. We offer a generous compensation package and are committed to supporting our employees’ entire well-being by fostering a healthy work-life balance and equitable opportunity for professional advancement. We are curious, collaborative learners who strive to live our values every day: leadership, collaboration, excellence, innovation, inclusion, and stewardship. OCHIN is excited to support our continued national expansion and the increasing demand for our innovative tools and services by welcoming new talent to our growing team.
The Research Data Engineer will provide high-level professional and technical skills in support of designing, building, and maintaining data pipelines, databases, and cloud platforms to support the needs of the OCHIN Research team. In this role, you will be collaborating with an innovative, collaborative team of people moving exciting projects forward and working to improve systems and processes along the way.
- Performing day-to-day management of on-premises, cloud, and hybrid research databases and database platforms including the Research Data Warehouse
- Integrating and transforming health-related data from a variety of sources and formats such as EHRs, geospatial, claims, and census into analyzable formats for research
- Building and maintaining datasets and data marts
- Monitor and maintain data pipelines proactively to ensure high service availability
- In partnership with Research Data Science staff and leadership, assist with scoping and designing new research data pipelines and platforms to optimize research data solutions
- Create scripts and programs to automate data operations
- Preparing and maintaining technical documentation and metadata
- Providing technical/consultative services to internal and external research partners, investigators, and other research personnel
- Performing other duties as requested by the research team
- A Master’s level degree in Informatics, Computer Science, or a related discipline. Equivalent knowledge and skills obtained through a combination of education, training, and experience may meet this requirement.
- At least 5 years of experience in database development and administration in a healthcare and/or health research setting
- At least 3 years of experience with data warehousing, including ETL techniques
- Strong technical proficiency with SQL required
- Intermediate Experience with cloud and/or hybrid cloud/on-premises database architectures preferred
- Intermediate experience with technical documentation and the ability to identify, communicate and clean up server resources preferred
- High technical proficiency with Microsoft SQL Server, including the ability to create and edit complex queries and T-SQL scripts including dynamic SQL, required; experience with SSIS
- Strong working knowledge of standard desktop computing software packages (word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Knowledge of specialized and complex statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques preferred
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
To keep our colleagues, members, and communities safe, OCHIN requires all employees—including remote employees, contractors, interns, and new hires—to be vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine, as supported by state and federal public health officials, as a condition of employment. All new hires are required to provide proof of full vaccination or receive approval for a medical or religious exemption before their hire date.
Work Location and Travel Requirements
- This position is 100% remote. Work-from-home requirements are:
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a home office environment
- High-Speed Internet Service
- It is a requirement that employees work in a distraction-free workplace
We offer a comprehensive range of benefits. See our website for details: https://ochin.org/employment-openings
Equal Opportunity Statement
OCHIN is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills for the benefit of our staff, our mission, and the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, OCHIN, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, marital or civil union status, age, disability status, veteran status, or any other protected characteristics. All aspects of employment are based on merit, performance, and business needs.
Base Pay Overview
The typical offer range for this role is minimum to midpoint, with the midpoint representing the average pay in a national market scope for this position. Please keep in mind that this range represents the pay range for all positions in the job grade within which this position falls. The actual salary offer will consider a wide range of factors directly relevant to this position, including, but not limited to, skills, knowledge, training, responsibility, and experience, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
Min-$98,819 Mid- $128,465 Max-$158,111
Your application has been successfully submitted.
OCHIN is a nonprofit leader in equitable health care innovation and a trusted solutions partner to a growing national provider network.