Sr Cloud Platform Engineer
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. Depending on your location within the continental US, this role may be hybrid or remote.
- If you live within 50 miles of the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA or Columbia, SC, this role will be hybrid. This means you will be expected to work in the office for at least 60% of the work week. You will work from your home (within the continental US) for the remaining portion of the work week. Details of this schedule will be discussed with your leadership.
- If you live more than 50 miles from the Aflac offices located in Columbus, GA or Columbia, SC, this role will be remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. If the role is remote, there may be occasions that you are requested to come to the office based on business need. Any requests to come to the office would be communicated with you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
• Cloud Architecture experience (AWS, Azure, or GCP)
• Configuration Management software experience (Chef, Ansible, Puppet, SaltStack)
• Infrastructure-as-Code expertise (Terraform, CloudFormation, CDK)
• Familiarity with running and scaling distributed software systems (load balancing, high availability, systems monitoring, etc.)
• Familiarity with structured text (JSON, YAML, XML)
• Proven application production support experience
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Passion for automating routine tasks
• Solid understanding of networking and network-related structures
• Willingness to be a part of a culture of continuous improvement
• Ability to lead and work in projects
• Extensive experience with Linux, Unix, and Windows operating systems internals and administration
• Ability to multitask and adapt to quickly changing priorities
• Ability and willingness to work off-hours on occasion
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree In Computer Science, Information systems or related field
- Six or more years of experience in cloud architecture, engineering or support
- Extensive experience with multiple programming/scripting languages, Windows and Linux Operating systems, networking, systems and data design and agile methodologies
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Education & Experience Preferred
- Certification - Two or more AWS or Azure
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
• Ensures that documentation is created and maintained as it relates to all aspects of the Cloud platform implementation
• Ensures that Cloud environments remain in compliance with the current standards and works with consuming teams to update when required
• Develops automation for the standardization of the Cloud environments and architectural design patterns for consumption by project teams
• Provides design and coding reviews for automation and Infrastructure-as-Code
• Ensures that runbooks/playbooks for operational support of the Cloud environments are created and maintained
• Participates in advanced troubleshooting sessions including working with business teams, analyzing logs and data, opening service requests with CSPs, working with Vendors, Partners, and CSP Support, and driving problem resolution
• Reviews architectural designs for applications to ensure reliable and performant design patterns are implemented
• Defines the operational characteristics for that the Cloud-native services
• Ensures that defined and tracked operational metrics for Production performance, reliability, scalability and availability dimensions are within given thresholds and addresses any deviations
• Contributes to the team’s continuous improvement through advanced topic research, creation and approval of knowledge articles, presentations, and facilitating discussion groups
• Continuously works to improve the quality and cost optimize of Aflac’s Cloud environments
• Continuously learning and mentoring team members and project teams
• Contribute to overall team initiatives including recruiting, training, and speaking engagments
• Performs other duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $70,000 to $160,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.
Nearest Major Market: Columbus GA
Aflac has a game plan to help you strategize on attacking expenses health insurance doesn’t cover.