Sr. Staff Data Engineer
At Stryker we are dedicated to improving lives, with a passion for researching and developing new medical device products. As an engineer at Stryker, you will be proud of the work that you will be doing, using cutting-edge technologies to make healthcare better. Here, you will work in a supportive culture with other incredibly talented and intelligent people, creating industry-leading medical technology products. You will also have growth opportunities as we have a culture that supports your personal and professional development.
Need another reason to apply? Check out these 8 reasons to join Stryker’s engineering team: https://www.strykercareersblog.com/post/8-reasons-to-join-strykers-engineering-team
We are proud to be named one of the World’s Best Workplaces and a Best Workplace for Diversity by Fortune Magazine! Learn more about our award-winning organization by visiting stryker.com
The Senior Staff Data Engineer is responsible for supporting and advancing data intelligence projects by building and managing data ingestion, transformation, and storage to deliver accurate and reliable data to stakeholders. This position will be part of the Data Engineering team and will bring strong quantitative skills to the team. In this position, you will be engaged on projects that will ultimately use the data for various analytics techniques, such as optimization, forecasting, machine learning, predictive maintenance, visualization, and statistical analysis to develop solutions that help deliver significant value to customers.
Who we Need
- Analytical problem solvers. People who go beyond just fixing to identify root causes, evaluate optimal solutions, and recommend comprehensive upgrades to prevent future issues.
- Dedicated achievers. Relentless about quality, people who thrive in a fast-paced environment and will stop at nothing to ensure a project is complete and meets regulations and expectations.
- Goal-oriented developers. Keeping the customer and system requirements squarely in focus, people who deliver safe and robust solutions.
What you will do
- Skilled and proficient in data engineering languages including Python and SQL
- Experience building data pipelines and data storage solutions in a cloud environment
- Proficient working knowledge of native cloud-based tools on Microsoft Azure or AWS, including SQL/NoSQL databases, data lakes & blob storage as well as various cloud-based compute solutions such as Databricks or Snowflake and Kubernetes/Docker
- Skilled in data modeling, including relational and dimensional modeling, and storage of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data
- Experience with various data types (structured, semi-structured, unstructured) and analytics needs from reporting to machine learning
- Expert/Master in defining and developing robust ETL pipelines and data orchestration solutions
- Expert in using version control (Gitlab preferred)
- Identify and use the most appropriate tool for particular project or use case
- Continuously seek out industry best practices and develop skills to create new capabilities for data engineering
- Develop talent and provide project leadership in the team's day-to-day project portfolio. Experience with scrum and agile frameworks expected
- Provide a standard common business vocabulary, express strategic requirements, outline high-level integrated designs to meet those requirements, and align with enterprise strategy and related business architecture
- Familiar with data security & data privacy best practices
- Demonstrate financial acumen to understand financial impact for existing projects
- Translate stakeholder requirements to data solutions independently
- Lead discussions with Stryker enterprise across functions to leverage domain expertise and capabilities
- Lead and deliver presentations and communications that build data engineering credibility and rapport to a medium size group with some guidance
- Provides helpful insights in discussions on identifying opportunities where data engineering can be applied to real-world business opportunities with key stakeholder
- Ability to manage individual tasks independently and provide leadership for owned projects
- Experience leading end-to-end data engineering projects: from problem and requirements definition to model/algorithm validation and deployment
- Work cooperatively with all stakeholders to ensure project success
- Apply a strong understanding of Agile/Scrum procedures to enhance digital product development
- Lead and mentor others' root cause/problem-solving efforts, including advanced troubleshooting
- Hold self and others accountable to deliver high-quality results with passion, energy, and drive to meet business priorities
- Ability to communicate complex plans and technical information to team members
- Collaborate and influence others on cross-functional teams advancing partnerships to achieve business objectives
What you will need
- 6+ years of experience & Bachelor's Degree in computer science, data analytics, mathematics, statistics, data science or related field with applicable data engineering & architecture work experience
- 4+ years of experience in developing and optimizing ETLs and pipelines with cloud-based solutions in Azure (preferred), Amazon Web Services, or Google Cloud Platform
- Coding experience with Python
- Database experience.(SQL Preferred)
Nice to Haves:
- Azure Data Engineer Associate a plus
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to evaluate and implement the most efficient and effective data engineering solution
- Ability to understand complex and ambiguous business needs
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to derive value from complex clinical, med device, and wearables data
$109,500 – $232,900 salary plus bonus eligible + Benefits (Health, Vision, Dental, 401K, Tuition Reimbursement, Employee Assistance Program, Wellbeing Program, Employee Stock Purchase Program). This information reflects the anticipated salary range for this position based on current national data. Actual minimum and maximum may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience, and other relevant factors.
- 12 paid holidays annually
- Health benefits include: Medical and prescription drug insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, critical illness insurance, accident insurance, hospital indemnity insurance, personalized healthcare support, wellbeing program and tobacco cessation program.
- Financial benefits include Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), 401(k) plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), basic life and AD&D insurance, and short-term disability insurance.
For a more detailed overview of our benefits or time off, please follow this link to learn more: US Stryker employee benefits
Stryker is one of the world’s leading medical technology companies and, together with its customers, is driven to make healthcare better. The company offers innovative products and services in Medical and Surgical, Neurotechnology, Orthopaedics and Spine that help improve patient and healthcare outcomes. Alongside its customers around the world, Stryker impacts more than 130 million patients annually. More information is available at stryker.com.
Know someone at Stryker?
Be sure to have them submit you as a referral prior to applying for this position. Learn more about our employee referral program on our referral page
Stryker is driven to work together with our customers to make healthcare better. Employees and new hires in sales and field roles that require access to customer accounts as a function of the job may be required, depending on customer requirements, to obtain various vaccinations as an essential function of their role.
Together with our customers, we are driven to make healthcare better