Sr. Data Engineer
Symetra has an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Sr. Data Engineer!
About the role
As the Sr. Data Engineer you will build, manage, integrate, and optimize reservoirs for data in support of delivering relevant information for business consumption promoting advances in predictive analytics and machine learning. You'll develop, construct, test and maintain designs for databases and large-scale data processing systems in support of underlying business, solution, and enterprise architectures. This role supports and maintains pipelines delivering relevant data sets for business consumption and analysis. while working closely with architects to determine which data management systems are appropriate and with the business to determine what data is needed for analysis. This individual will wrestle with problems associated with database integration and unstructured data sets toward the ultimate goal of providing clean, usable data to whomever may require it.
What you will do
- Work as part of the overall IT Team providing 24x7 operational support and maintenance of all enterprise databases
- Participate in crafting data protection and recovery plans, establishing protocols, and conducting regular assessments
- Communicate, participate in, and detail standard processes for the general administration and management of servers, storage platforms, and applications in our datacenters
- Manage all DBA team projects and achieving deadlines and turning points
- Manage DBA Team including project management, priorities, team performance and professional development
- Improve the scalability and performance of existing database architecture
- Develop data restoration policies, procedures, and controls
- Prepare and present system performance reports to senior leaders
- Perform database maintenance, migration, and upgrading hardware and software
- Document processes and align with standard methodologies in database management
- Keep up to date with developments and trends in database management
- Monitor systems to ensure system health and functionality as well as remediate problems / issues in a timely manner
- Prepare, submit, and manage operating and capital expenditures for database technologies needed to support the organizations technology projects
- Implement technical controls to support Cybersecurity initiatives, which ensures secure operations in all database environments
- Support 24 / 7 operations including periodic on-call rotation
- Collaborate with Director, Cybersecurity and other team members on risk assessment, response and remediation
- Provide weekly updates with project timelines and goals to Director, Information Technology
Why work at Symetra
Here’s what some of our employees have to say about why they work at Symetra:
“Symetra is a great place if you are looking for the opportunity to contribute, to grow, to be seen and valued.” Vernell K. – Auditor
“We're big enough to make an impact on the country, but small enough to care and know who you are and what you're contributing to the organization. All new ideas are welcome!” Stephanie F. – VP Customer Service & Operations
What we offer you
We don’t take a “one-size-fits-all” approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are crafted to make your life better both at work and at home.
- Flexible full-time or hybrid telecommuting arrangements
- Plan for your future with our 401(k) plan and take advantage of immediate vesting and company matching up to 6%
- Paid time away including vacation and sick time, flex days and ten paid holidays
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching
- Want more details? Check out our Symetra Benefits Overview
Salary Range: $107,200 - $178,700 plus eligibility for annual bonus program.
Who you are
- Computer Science or related bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of relevant database administration experience
- Ability to work independently and lead multiple task and priorities for operational work.
- Detail oriented with strong problem-solving skills.
- Superb communication and organization skills
- Ability to write and present formal documentation.
- Solid experience Microsoft SQL Server , Windows Server, EC2 and AWS serverless databases
- Experience with optimizing database performance and solve performance issues in AWS serverless databases
- The candidate should have experience with scripting and automation tools like PowerShell and AWS CLI to automate tasks
We empower inclusion
At Symetra, we aspire to be the most inclusive insurance company in the country. We’re building a place where every employee feels valued, respected, and has opportunities to contribute. Inclusion is about recognizing our assumptions, considering multiple perspectives, and removing barriers.
We accept and celebrate diverse experiences, identities, and perspectives, because lifting each other up fuels thought and builds a stronger, more innovative company. We invite you to learn more about our efforts here.
Creating a world where more people have access to financial freedom
Symetra is a national financial services company dedicated to helping people achieve their financial goals and feel confident about the future. In our daily work, we’re guided by the principles of Value, Transparency and Sustainability. This means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and openly so people understand what they’re buying, and we design products—and operate our company—to stand the test of time. We’re committed to showing up for our communities, lifting up our employees, and standing up for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Join our team and help us create a world where more people have access to financial freedom.
For more information about our careers visit https://symetra.eightfold.ai/careers.
Employer work visa sponsorship and support are not provided for this role. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at hire and must maintain authorization to work in the United States throughout their employment with our company.