Principal Architect - Data
Join us on our mission to create a completely new, 100% digital bank that truly serves customers' best interests. We are a close-knit and fun-loving team of seasoned financial services professionals who came together for the challenge of building a bank from scratch - and we are committed to doing it all the right way (from technology infrastructure to modern marketing to customer experience).
The anticipated salary range for this role is between $154,000.00 and $195,000.00. The specific salary offered to an applicant will be based on their individual qualifications, experiences, and an analysis of the current compensation paid in their geography and the market for similar roles at the time of hire. The role may also be eligible for an annual discretionary incentive award. In addition to cash compensation, SMBC offers a competitive portfolio of benefits to its employees.
We work with the flexibility and speed of a start-up. But we also have significant stability and capital from being part of the SMBC Group (Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation). SMBC is the second largest bank in Japan and the 12th largest bank in the world with operations in over forty countries. And SMBC is committed to disrupting the US marketplace with ground-breaking products.
It is the best of both worlds, and we are seeking proven marketing leaders to propel us towards a national launch. We have both the ambitious growth plans and the 'patient capital' necessary to execute a multi-year plan. Join us on the journey to deliver an exciting concept of evolved banking.
SMBC is one of the largest global banks, operating across 30+ countries, including the United States. We charted to build a new digital bank in US for SMBC, we intend to disrupt the digital banking landscape with “banking the way it should be” and an innovative collection of banking products and services. We are on a mission to build the best digital banking experiences for our customers, and we are looking for a Principal Architect. Data Engineering who can help lead this mission. If you are passionate about challenging the status quo and building innovative new solutions to old problems, then we have an exciting opportunity for you!”
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, implement and lead Data Architecture, Data Quality, Data Governance across the Digital Bank
- Defining data modeling standards and foundational best practices
- Support establishing data governance processes, procedures, policies, and guidelines to maintain the integrity and security of the data.
- Create and maintain critical data standards and metadata that allows data to be understood and leveraged as a shared asset.
- Lead the design of data schemes, object models, and flow diagrams to structure, store, process, and integrate data
- Provide architectural assessments, strategies, and roadmaps for data management and advanced ML/AI platforms
- Apply hands-on subject matter expertise in the Architecture and administration of Big Data platforms, Data Lake Technologies and experience with ML and Data Science platforms.
- Implement and manage industry best practice tools and processes such as Data Lake, Data Warehouse, ETL Tools, GCP, Big Query, Vertex A, Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker, CI/CD, DevOps
- Lead the translation of big data and analytics requirements into data models that will operate at a large scale and high performance and guide the data analytics engineers on these data models.
- Collaborate with business, operations, and other technology colleagues to understand company needs and devise technical solutions
- Develop solutions and work with partner teams to implement the solutions in production
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, or equivalent.
- 15+ years of hands-on experience in Data Warehouse, ETL, Data Modeling & Reporting.
- 7+ years of hands-on experience in productionizing and deploying Big Data platforms and applications, Hands-on experience working with: Relational/SQL, distributed columnar data stores/NoSQL databases, time-series databases, Data streaming, Kafka, GCP Platform, and more
- Extensive experience in understanding a variety of complex business use cases and modeling the data in the data warehouse.
- Proven experience in building Enterprise Data Lake, Data Warehouse, ML Platforms
- Knowledge of infrastructure requirements such as Networking, Storage, and Hardware Optimization with Hands-on experience with GCP, Azure or equivalent.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must and work effectively across internal and external organizations and virtual teams.
- Demonstrated industry leadership in the fields of Data Warehousing, Data Science, and Big Data related technologies.
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and container-based development using Docker and Kubernetes ecosystem
- Deep knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience in working in a team environment using CI/CD and agile methodologies.
- Excellent pattern recognition and predictive modeling skills. Experience with large imbalanced datasets
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc. (SMFG) is the holding company of SMBC Group, which is one of the three largest banking groups in Japan. In the A...