Principal Engineer, Data Engineering
CarMax, the way your career should be!
About this job
At CarMax, we are industry disruptors with an unrivaled amount of automotive consumer data. Working on many different aspects our Principal Engineers research and discover new opportunities and shape data products to fulfill enterprise needs for data. From inception to completion, you will develop tools and technology, learning quickly from our spirit of experimentation. You will have a direct impact on improving the performance of our business and ensuring customers can buy the vehicles they want in a way that’s right for them!
What you will do – Essential Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively and creatively with other data engineers to develop scalable and maintainable data pipelines using the latest Microsoft Azure technologies and leading industry practices
- Develop patterns and build data pipelines that ingest enterprise-wide data into the Enterprise Data Lake and make it available for consummation for both data analytics and data science
- Partner with a variety of internal stakeholders across the organization to deliver creative, cutting-edge, high-quality engineering solutions that meet business requirements in a fast-paced, ever-changing business environment
- Drive increased efficiency across our agile product delivery teams, eliminating duplication and leveraging product and technology reuse.
- Work alongside Solutions Architects to design efficient platform ecosystem to enable DevOps maturity and release pipeline autonomy.
- 8+ years of application development experience required
- 5+ years overall data engineering experience including guiding ideation, design, and decisions in a collaborative team setting
- Experienced of architecting and implementing modern data platform (data lake or data warehouse) with batch and streaming data ingestion and processing on Azure or AWS cloud
- 2-3 years’ experience developing NoSQL-based data solutions, preferably Cosmos DB
- Data pipeline development with Azure Data Factory and Azure Databricks
- Focus on complete solutions including unit/function/integration testing, documentation, pipeline monitoring and support, and team teach-outs
- Experienced in SQL query, data manipulation language (DML) and data definition language (DDL) including hands-on experience of managing database tables and views
- Experience working with streaming data and technologies, such as Azure Event Hubs
- Experience working with Agile and DevOps methodologies
- Strong teamwork skills, ability to learn quickly, excellent written and spoken communication.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related Technology field or equivalent experience
- Degree in Computer Science, Decision Science, Engineering, Statistics, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
- 8+ years of work experience required in data management disciplines including [data integration, modeling, optimization and data quality], and/or other areas directly relevant to data engineering responsibilities and tasks.
- Strong experience working with large, heterogeneous datasets in building and optimizing data pipelines, pipeline architectures and integrated datasets using traditional data integration technologies. These should include [ETL/ELT, data replication/CDC, message-oriented data movement
- Strong experience with multiple advanced analytics tools languages such as [R, Python, Java, C++, Scala, others].
- Strong experience with popular database programming languages including [SQL, PL/SQL, others] on both relational and non-relational databases
- Strong experience with Big Data
- Strong experience with data discovery, analytics, and data quality controls
- Strong experience with microservices to serve data
- Strong experience in cloud platforms such as Azure, AWS, GCP
Work Location and Arrangement: Work location is flexible if approved by the Company
Work Authorization: Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Sponsorship will be considered for this specific role.
Compensation: The Compensation Range for this position is: $120000 -- $170000
Full-Time Associates enjoy health benefits including medical/dental/vision, wealth benefits including 401k plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, access to spending accounts, as well as paid time off benefits. More details can be found at benefits.carmax.com
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.
The way it should be.