Sr Staff Data Platform Software Engineer - Data Stream
At ServiceNow, our technology makes the world work for everyone, and our people make it possible. We move fast because the world can’t wait, and we innovate in ways no one else can for our customers and communities. By joining ServiceNow, you are part of an ambitious team of change makers who have a restless curiosity and a drive for ingenuity. We know that your best work happens when you live your best life and share your unique talents, so we do everything we can to make that possible. We dream big together, supporting each other to make our individual and collective dreams come true. The future is ours, and it starts with you.
With more than 7,700+ customers, we serve approximately 85% of the Fortune 500®, and we're proud to be one of FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® and World's Most Admired Companies™.
Unsure if you meet all the qualifications of a job description but are deeply excited about the role? We still encourage you to apply! At ServiceNow, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all voices are heard, valued, and respected. We welcome all candidates, including individuals from non-traditional, varied backgrounds, that might not come from a typical path connected to this role. We believe skills and experience are transferrable, and the desire to dream big makes for great candidates.
The Data Streaming group has teams that provide streaming API for higher-layer applications and/or work to scale our application platforms. Depending on the nature of the data, the storage systems include data in motion, such as time-series databases or message bus systems. Our largest customers are constantly pushing the limits of the backend storage in terms of size of the data, speed of IO, and the number of concurrent transactions. Performance, reliability, and scalability are always at the core of our work.
Our largest customers are constantly pushing the limits of the backend storage in terms of size of the data, speed of IO, and several concurrent transactions. Performance, reliability, and scalability are always at the core of our work.
What you get to do in this role:
- Design and build highly innovative interactive high performant solutions with scalability and quality.
- Design software that is simple to use to allow customers to extend and customize the functionality to meet their specific needs.
- Build high-quality, clean, scalable, and reusable code by enforcing best practices around software engineering architecture and processes (Code Reviews, Unit testing, etc.)
- Design and develop tools, libraries, and frameworks with long term platform mindset thinking for high modularity, extensibility, configurability, and maintainability.
- Lead and coordinate work cross functionally to improve architecture, developing process and mentoring junior members in the team.
- Work with the product owners to understand detailed requirements and own your code from design, implementation, test automation and delivery of high-quality product to our users.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of new products and features while also enhancing the existing product suite.
- Manage projects with material technical risk at a team level.
- Explorer and evaluate new technology and innovation to continuously improve platform capability and functionality.
- Be a mentor for colleagues and help promote knowledge-sharing.
To be successful in the role:
- Advanced knowledge and experience with fundamentals in distributed systems design and development
- Strong fluency with Java programming as well as good understanding of Java memory model and garbage collection
- Experience with JVM performance tuning and optimization as well as experience in diagnosing performance bottlenecks.
- Advanced working knowledge of concurrency, sockets, networking, operating systems, memory management, runtimes, portability, etc
- Has the experience and ability to diagnose issues and troubleshoot.
Nice to have:
- Experience with streaming systems (Kafka, Pulsar, etc.)
- Experience working with Kafka.
- Experience working in a DevOps environment.
- Experience with relational databases: Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB, MS SQLServer
- 10+ years of experience with Java or a similar OO language
- Experience building and operating large-scale systems.
- Experience with data structures, algorithms, object-oriented design, design patterns, and performance/scale considerations
For positions in California (outside of the Bay Area), we offer a base pay of $166,230 - $290,970, plus equity (when applicable), variable/incentive compensation and benefits. Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. Please note that the base pay shown is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, competencies and work location. We also offer health plans, including flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) Plan with company match, ESPP, matching donations, a flexible time away plan and family leave programs (subject to eligibility requirements). Compensation is based on the geographic location in which the role is located, and is subject to change based on work location. For individuals who will be working in the Bay Area, there is a pay enhancement for positions located in that geographical area; please contact your recruiter for additional information.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
At ServiceNow, we lead with flexibility and trust in our distributed world of work. Click here to learn about our work personas: flexible, remote and required-in-office.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site.
From Fortune. © 2022 Fortune Media IP Limited All rights reserved. Used under license.
Fortune and Fortune Media IP Limited are not affiliated with, and do not endorse products or services of, ServiceNow.
The world works with ServiceNow.