Data Platform Software Engineer
Muon Space is building an expert team that is designing and generating value-added products from Earth observations from Muon’s constellation of low Earth orbit satellites and other geospatial datasets. The Data Platform Software Engineer will be a key player on the Muon Science and Data Teams to support the development and operations of reliable data and machine learning pipelines using a managed Flyte (k8s) data platform. This role will collaborate closely with geospatial, scientific, and machine learning product developers to incorporate scalable cloud resources and modern software engineering practices into Muon’s product development process in order to meet Muon’s goals in monitoring and addressing climate change.
- Work with product developers to build and maintain data and machine learning pipelines in production using a managed Flyte (k8s) platform
- Support continuous improvement of software engineering processes for building, deploying, and monitoring data and machine learning pipelines
- Provide expert support on data platform usage and best practices to product developers and scientists
- Collaborate with platform service providers to solve platform issues
- Integrate data platform resources with Muon’s wider cloud infrastructure
- Maintain expert knowledge of data platform solutions
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience using CI/CD processes for software and GitOps processes for infrastructure
- Experience using modern time series DB and Grafana for application and infrastructure monitoring
- Experience with common geospatial data formats (HDF5, Zarr, COG, …)
- Experience interacting with internal and external customers and service providers
- Experience working with container orchestration software platform in production
- Experience building event-driven and cloud native systems
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with new challenges each week
- Experience building APIs for data access
- Experience building data indexing and provenance solutions
- Experience working with a distributed team of developers
- Experience working with SaaS providers of core infrastructure services
- Experience maintaining container orchestration software platform in production
- Experience developing products from geospatial data (including non-imagery data types)
- Experience developing retrieval algorithms for and products from satellite Earth observation data
- Experience harnessing compute accelerators (e.g. GPUs) in cloud container orchestration environment
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
We are a geographically diverse company with teams in the San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, and Boulder, Colorado. We seek great talent wherever it may be.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We value diversity in the workplace, and that starts with our applicants. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't check all the boxes, and we look forward to reviewing your application! In addition, if you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program. We also offer three weeks paid vacation for new employees, along with 12 paid holidays and unlimited sick time, along with paid parental leave to name a few of our benefits.
The salary range for this role is 95K-190K and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. protected person as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
A New View of Earth, From Space