Staff Platform Engineer
We’re transforming the United States Government and we know that takes a dream team.
We believe customer experience starts with employee experience, so we take care of our employees. We offer competitive pay and benefits, invest in employee growth, and offer a culture you can’t find anywhere else.
At Rise8, we continuously achieve unreached heights through next-level tech, and on-the-level collaboration. Together, we create continuous impact. We turn breakdowns into breakthroughs, make small steps into giant leaps, and deliver game-changing products through a culture-changing process.
We pair Risers with their customer counterparts and practice pairing at every moment to elevate people and teams and deliver results fast and forever. We work in small teams and rotate between them frequently so that we are able to meet new challenges and explore new ideas.
Our methodology is about experimenting and learning, and our culture is empowering. We subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project and are guided by a promise and a purpose: to deploy critical outcomes to prod in order to drive relentless progress. Not just an idea. But an outcome. A better world. A world where every day, fewer bad things happen because of bad software.
Rise8 is certified as a Great Place to Work with 100% of employees saying they love working here.
- You want to make tomorrow better than today.
- You have a passion for high-speed security and you care about risk management over compliance.
- You believe the biggest vulnerability in any system is time. You live to securely reduce cycle time.
- You enjoy daily decision making and real product delivery.
- You help ensure project success and client satisfaction.
- You enjoy collaborative teams, pairing with team members, and inviting your clients to participate.
- You like to work alongside, and learn from, lean and agile leaders.
- You are a creative problem solver who is comfortable with uncertainty.
- You’re a curious and keen learner who thrives on enhancing your (and our) practices and knowledge.
As a Staff Platform Engineer at Rise8, you will:
- Create and implement automated configuration and deployment processes to enhance the performance, accessibility, and ease of management of the platform and its related services.
- Establish and manage administrator and service accounts, while also maintaining accurate system documentation and effectively resolving technical issues.
- Utilize scripting tools to craft self-service capabilities within the Platform as a Service (PaaS), fostering a seamless developer experience for development teams.
- Collaborate closely with developers to diagnose and troubleshoot problems, ensuring smooth operations.
- Take on the operational responsibility for the services under your team's ownership.
- Thrive in an environment that nurtures your personal development and growth.
- Continuously enhance the product, delivering software that resonates positively with users and meets their needs effectively.
- Active Secret Level Security Clearance
- 10+ years of experience in cloud/platform operations or related roles across diverse environments.
- Lead architecture discussions, make technical decisions, and collaborate with senior engineering leadership to shape the current and future platform vision.
- Proficiency in administering Azure Gov Cloud environments.
- Expertise in container orchestration, specifically Kubernetes.
- Proficient use of Infrastructure as Code (IAC) tools, with a focus on Terraform.
- Subject Matter Expertise in Linux Operating Systems administration.
- Skilled in developing automation solutions using scripting languages to streamline recurring tasks.
- Familiarity with networking concepts and practical experience involving technologies like Load Balancers, DNS, SSL, Firewalls, NAT, and NTP.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot operating systems and applications effectively.
- Experience handling large-scale production systems and adeptness in resolving production-related challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, and a keen interest in collaborative work environments.
- A degree (BA/BS) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience in lieu of a degree.
- Proficiency in troubleshooting challenges using the Linux/Unix command line interface.
- Subject matter expert with AKS (Azure Kubernetes Service).
- Obtains certifications such as RHCE, Linux+, MCSA, AWS Solutions Architect, AWS Developer, Security+, CISSP, and CCNA.
- Background in DevOps automation practices.
- Direct experience in client interaction.
- Familiarity with Department of Defense (DoD) operations, particularly within a DoD "Software Factory" context.
The annual salary range for this role as it is posted is $191,000 - $229,000 regardless of final candidate location within the United States. The final job level and annual salary will be determined based on the education, qualification, knowledge, skills, ability, and experience of the final candidate(s), and calibrated against relevant market data and internal team equity.
- Flexible schedule in a 100% distributed workforce
- Premium Insurance: We cover up to 100% of the employee premium and up to 80% of the combined dependent premium, depending on pay band. We also cover 100% of the premium for employee and dependent Dental and Vision as well as employee premiums for Life and Disability coverage.
- Retirement: 401k match at 10% gross pay.
- Paid time off (PTO): 4 weeks combined accrued vacation and sick leave, 10 Federal holidays, your birthday, jury duty, and bereavement.
- Education & Training: Accrued budget of up to $4,000 per year for classes, travel, events, and materials.
- Wellness Budget: To encourage and support a well-rounded healthy lifestyle, we cover 50% reimbursement on a variety of wellness activities and products, up to $500 per calendar year.
- Equipment: We offer a MacBook Pro and multi-port adapter.
All of Rise8’s work in this area is with Federal Government customers that require our employees involved with their projects be U.S. citizens. As such, this role requires U.S. citizenship. If hired, you would also be required to go through a background investigation.
Rise8 is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider you for this role regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Rise8 is an elite, full-stack software development firm creating continuous impact with governments and their stakeholders. Together, we win.