Sr Data Engineer - Data Products & Platforms
This role is considered remote, which means the employee will work remotely on an ongoing basis and will not have an assigned workspace at a Company designated location.
“We Power the Magic!” That’s our motto at Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Technology & Digital. Our team creates world-class immersive digital experiences for the Company’s premier vacation brands including Disney’s Parks & Resorts worldwide, Disney Cruise Line, Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, and Disney Vacation Club. We are responsible for the end-to-end digital and physical Guest experience for all technology & digital-led initiatives across the Attractions & Entertainment, Food & Beverage, Resorts & Transportation and Merchandise lines of business as well as other initiatives including MyDisneyExperience and Hey, Disney!
This role sits in Data Products & Platforms within Technology & Digital for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products. It works closely with internal segment engineers from across the company. The ideal candidate has broad skills that are balanced between interpersonal and technical capabilities so that they are able to influence standards across the organization.
As a Sr Data Engineer, you will participate in discovery processes with stakeholders to identify business requirements and expected outcomes. The Sr Data Engineer will also participate in operational support and maintenance of products and services as well as mentor junior team members.
- Design and engineer high-performance/large scale data engineering projects, producing maintainable and secure code with automated testing in a continuous integration environment.
- Develop production grade, consumable data views
- Ensure solutions support all functional and non-functional requirements
- Participate in operational support and maintenance of products and services
- Ability to participate in discovery processes with stakeholders to identify business requirements and expected outcomes
- Ability to mentor to junior team members
- Coordinate and collaborate with offshore teams
- Relevant cloud data engineering work experience
- Ability to perform across multiple phases of development for multiple complex projects, including technical design, build, and end-to-end testing.
- Passionate about delivering data engineering projects and features in a team environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Troubleshooting skills, ability to determine impacts, ability to resolve complex issues, and ability to exercise sound judgment and initiative in stressful situations.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Fundamentals of data pipelining, ELT/ETL, data architecture, and the overall data lifecycle
- Cross-platform development languages: Python preferred (Java specialty OK)
- Snowflake data warehouse exposure and experience
- SQL and scripting proficiency
- Relational database and NoSQL (ex: MongoDB, DynamoDB, Redis, HBase, Cassandra) database experience
- Cloud technologies including AWS and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Preferred Technical qualifications:
- Queuing Technology – Kafka, RabbitMQ, Redis, SQS, Kinesis Streams, Kinesis Firehose
- Data Processing – EMR, Spark, Glue, Spark Streaming/Flink
- Data Transformation – dbt Cloud
- Containers - Docker, Docker Swarm, Docker Applications
- CICD - Jenkins/Codebuild/GitLab
- Security - IAM roles, wire encryption, KMS, Kerberos, Authz, AD
- Infrastructure as Code - Terraform, Cloud Formation, CDK
- Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, or related field
Disability accommodation for employment applications
The Walt Disney Company and its Affiliated Companies are Equal Employment Opportunity employers and welcome all job seekers including individuals with disabilities and veterans with disabilities. If you have a disability and believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or apply for a position, email Candidate.Accommodations@Disney.com with your request. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or correspondence. We will only respond to those requests that are related to the accessibility of the online application system due to a disability.
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
The hiring range for this remote position is $129,560.00 to $199,870.00 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Disney magic right at your fingertips!